Thursday, May 8, 2008


So... I'm now gonna be working at a new studio for 2 days a week. The guy who let me work there is named Kit and he's huge into Hip Hop. Seemed like a real cool down to earth guy so I'm pretty psyched. Tomorrow I have to go to work at noon and work till 12. I took a lot of shots today but I didn't have the right lens for the job so tomorrow I don't even care... I'm bringing all my gear. The new studio is located in williamsburg and the location is amazing. There is graffiti everywhere and old abandoned buildings. I'm thinking of breaking in to some. I've also started to get the knack for shooting random people. I'm going up to people and asking them if I can take a shot. There was an awesome guy in the subway station in like incredible clothing. I got a picture of him and he was super friendly. I'll try to edit it and put it on my next blog. I'm sorry by blogs don't get super deep. I wish I could explain every little detail but i'm so so tired and busy all the time it kind of makes it hard to remember and write everything. The restaurants here are cool and there are tons of little places on the street that you can get different food at. I've been going crazy with chinese food. You can get a whole meal and like a soup for $6.50. One place around the corner you can get a burger fries and pop for 3 bucks tax included. It's pretty ridiculous how cheap food is here but usually I buy ingredients and make my own meals cause it can be social. I really have to stop drinking here but it's so cheap that we all just sit down and get tanked. frigg... not good. I'm just about to finish my first drink but I have to keep it cool tonight to have a good strong day tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to getting home and even though I'm not having a great time here, I'm trying to do as much as I can so it isn't a waste of time. I'm learning about invoicing with work and it's useful. At the studio I'll hopefully see how some pro's light subjects. I'm trying to experience NY to it's fullest whether I like it or not so I can still claim that I've been there done that.

Love to all
Dan

3 comments:

Syd said...

Wow, it's such a difference then when you first arrived - now you're asking people for their photos!

It must be tough living in the big city and having no friends around, but we are all here for you.

It sounds like you're learning a lot, photographically speaking and mentally.

I love your shots, they are breathtaking!

Don't get down! I love your entries!

<3!

swanvil said...

You really have an eye for these shots Dan. They are fantastic.

Have you got anyone to go shooting in those buildings with? Perhaps they are not as derelict as they look!

Hope you are having more fun today,

nm

Emma Van Rooyen said...

Hey Dan,
Im not going NSCAD, no worries. That's a hell of a day tomorrow, 12 hours! I Hope you get to sleep in the next day.
I told Judith how you were feeling in NY, and she said you should hop a plane here :). but seriously, I think you've got the right attitude about experiencing as much as possible.
let on the cheap beer though
sending hugs your way
Emma